Carpet Cleaning & Maintenance Tips To Extend The Life Of Your Carpet
Help us help you keep your home cleaner, healthier and drier in between professional cleanings.
Learn the correct way to clean spills and stains, and extend the life of your valuable area rugs, carpet, leather and upholstery.
Refer to the categories on the left for the information you need.
Carpet Care Tips
Proper care and maintenance of your carpet will extend its useful life and preserve its appearance for years and years. Failure to take care of it will result in premature wear. Additionally, clean carpets contribute to a healthy indoor environment. Dirty carpets can be unhealthful indeed.
Save yourself money and maintain a healthy home by using the following simple carpet care tips:
- Vacuum your carpets three times a week using a vacuum cleaner with a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate) filter.
- Remove stains and spills as promptly as possible. this is best achieved with Chem-Dry Professional Strength Spot Remover.
- Remove as much excess as possible, then apply and blot with a clean white cloth. DO NOT rub the spot as this might grind the stain in further.
- Have your carpets cleaned and protected at least twice a year by Chem-Dry, or more often if you have children or pets.
- See our spot removal tips for advice on how to treat spills and stains on your carpet.
Traffic Lane Gray
Like all textiles, carpets will eventually show signs of wear. The wear creates an illusion of soiling, which often causes frustration and misunderstanding between the homeowners and carpet care experts. Even though a carpet has been cleaned, it does not mean the traffic areas will look clean. Traffic areas are those places where people are constantly walking or working.
This situation creates what is called "traffic lane gray".
There is not a lot that a carpet care expert can do with traffic lane gray. When a 10-year old carpet is cleaned, you will end up with a clean 10-year old carpet. It may not appear the way you had hoped. The easiest way to slow down this process is by rearranging the furniture so traffic areas are changed or just add area rugs.
Area Rug Care Tips
Every area rug requires special care to maximize the life and durability of the piece. Regardless of the origin or value of your rug, it is important to keep it clean so it can keep your indoor air quality high where carpet isn't present to act as a filter in your home.
- When purchasing an area rug, be sure to note the fibre types and origins of the rug. This information may be helpful as your Chem-Dry technician offers a specialized cleaning plan to ensure longevity.
- It is essential to vacuum your area rugs every few days to minimize the amount of long term build up of dirt and debris in your beautiful floor coverings.
- Ensure you have a suitable comb or rake to brush the pile of your rugs on a regular basis to ensure maximum fibre resiliency for the life of your investment. Combing the pile of the piece will also brighten and beautify the vivid colours in your area rugs when company is coming!
- Where possible, try to prevent prolonged exposure to sunlight which could cause sun fading, permanently damaging and devaluing your fine area rugs.
- At least once every 12-18 months, have your fine rugs professionally cleaned through your local Chem-Dry to ensure they are properly cleaned and cared for! And remember to always opt for Chem-Dry’s patented protectant products (PowerGuard, Repel or Wool Protectant)on your valuable investments to prevent possible permanent staining from spills and mishaps!.
Protect Your Investment
Various types of leather require different care processes.
- Aniline - Also known as natural, pure, naked or unprotected leather.
- Protected - Also known as finished semi-aniline, everyday, pigmented and painted leather.
- Nubuck - Also known as chaps, distressed, bomber and suede leather.
For specific care information, please contact your local Chem-Dry Technician.
Leather Care Tips
- It is essential to maintain a regular light cleaning schedule between professional cleanings by simply wiping down your leather upholstery with a damp cloth (or nubuck cleaning cloth depending on the type of leather you have).
- Be sure to have your leather furniture professionally cleaned and re-protected on an annual or semi-annual basis by a trained and trust-worthy Chem-Dry professional in your area.
- Ensure that any pets are de-clawed or well-trained to use a designated scratching post to save your upholstery from unnecessary abuse that can be very costly to repair.
- Depending on the relative humidity inside your home, be sure to have your gorgeous leather suite conditioned or moisturized over and above professional cleaning 1-4 times per year.
- For future touch ups and possible more serious repairs, be certain to keep receipts and documentation of your leather purchases, including swatch matches to make the process easier and ensure better quality of servicing at that time.
Between professional cleanings, you can also further maintain the health and enhance beauty of your leather furniture by cleaning with Chem-Dry Soft Cleaner and rejuvenating the protection with Chem-Dry Protection Cream. Both products are found in the Chem-Dry Home Leather Care Kit.
Spot Removal Tips
Whether they are dribbles or disasters, food and beverage stains are part of everybody's life. Before the next one happens to you, read the tips and suggestions we have compiled for you here and get some Chem-Dry professional home care products to wipe that stain clean when it inevitably happens. If your carpet has been treated with Chem-Dry's Protectant, then you already have a huge advantage in removing stains.
Stain Removal Tips
- Act Quickly - The longer the stain is allowed to remain, the more chance it has to set.
- Know what kind of stain you are working on as well as the type of fabric or surface it is on so you can choose the best product. View the list below to see which product to use for water or oil based spots.
- Remove as much excess stain as you can by blotting, scraping or brushing whatever will come off. DO NOT rub it in.
- Test all fabrics and carpets before cleaning by spraying a small amount of Chem-Dry Professional Strength Spot Remover or Chem-Dry Grease & Oil Remover on a hidden area, blot dry and observe for 10 minutes. Make sure there is not carpet colour removal onto the cloth and that, when dry, there is not a visible discolouration in the area you cleaned.
- Work from the outside edge of the stain to the inside to keep the stain from spreading.
- Call Chem-Dry for expert spot & stain removal if these efforts do not work.
- Have a Chem-Dry Professional apply our Powerguard Protector with every cleaning to give you the best chance for removing stains.